The Voice of Ethnic Minority Sports in Northern Ireland
As the voice of ethnic minority sports in Northern Ireland, we echo migrants’ views on sports and wellbeing with the focus to strengthen the system with a renewed sense of optimism – moving our society from what it is towards what it could be. We serve the sport interest of ethnic minority community with the aim to eliminate barriers against sports participation and performance, to address sport as a means for social welfare, and to reduce racial inequalities in sports by playing a significant role trying to influence and lobby the government for better and equitable policies that represent the sports needs of all migrants in Northern Ireland.
“Strengthening Shared Sustainable Sporty Society.”
“A megaphone of a society that is sports-friendly, recreative, all-inclusive, diversified and fair to all – where people from different ethnicities can regularly participate in the same sports and physical activities without any discrimination.”
EMSONI is the first and the leading community-driven multi-sports organisation for the development of ethnic minority sports in Northern Ireland with the aim of diversifying the face of sports. Our approach is to use the medium of sports to integrate migrants within the ethnic minority community and with the local communities in Northern Ireland. As the voice of ethnic minority sports in Northern Ireland, we echo migrants’ views on sports and wellbeing with the focus to strengthen the system with a renewed sense of optimism – moving our society from what it is towards what it could be.
EMSONI is an independent, and non-profit organisation, every pound earned by the organisation is reinvested in the work of the organisation.
Every project is an opportunity for us to use sport as a tool to deliver innovative and far-reaching wellbeing and social development initiatives.
GOALS: Go Out Appreciate Learn Sports: Designed to introduce people to different sporting activities in a more relaxed and safe atmosphere and remain active in sports and physical activities.
SCORES: Sustaining Cohesive Open Research-based Exchange on Sports: Provide forums to engage in regular and cutting-edge conversations on sport and wellbeing, and foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and inclusion.
Not Alone: A place of sanctuary where diverse people, especially the newcomers and the isolated, can seek refuge through sports.
In The News
BBC NI UNSUNG HERO 2020
ACROSS THE PITCH
EMSONI is a multi-sport organisation helping ethnic minorities play sports at local and national levels to build bridges across communities.
- Northern Ireland Confederation Cup 2021Venue Olympia Park & Ulidia Park Belfast Date 4th July 2021 – 28th August 2021 Time 1.00pm Participating Teams Eritrea Community NI Ghanaian Community NI Homeless Community NI (Street Soccer) International Community NI Limestone Community NI Nigerian Community NI North Africans Community NI Polish Community […]
- Inspiring Futures Project for Young PeopleEMSONI – Ethnic Minority Sports Organisation Northern Ireland is organising Inspiring Futures project in partnership with Rio Ferdinand Foundation to build capacities in ethnic minority young people in Belfast with the aim of creating career pathways for young people. For registration please email Abena Poku-Aduse
- Abena Gyamfuaa Aduse-Poku Appointed to Lead our Inspiring Futures ProjectEMSONI is pleased to welcome Abena as the lead worker of our inspiring futures project in Belfast in partnership with Rio Ferdinand Foundation and funded by BBC Children in Need and Youth Futures Foundation to create career pathways for our young people. Abena joins our […]
- EMSONI’s Partnership with the Rio Ferdinand Foundation on Inspiring Futures Project in BelfastEMSONI – Ethnic Minority Sports Organisation Northern Ireland in partnership with the Rio Ferdinand Foundation is pleased to announce their new Inspiring Futures project in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Our Inspiring Futures project is funded by BBC Children in Need and the Youth Futures Foundation to […]
- Sport Vocational (Certificate) Sport PhotojournalismCourse Overview As COVID-19 still keeps us indoor, EMSONI encourages us to see this as an opportunity to develop relevant core knowledge and learn new skills and we are offering participants from 18 years old and above free certified course for beginners in sport photography […]
- EMSONI Volunteer named BBC Sports Personality’s Unsung Hero 2020Adekanmi Abayomi is the winner of BBC Sports Personality of The Year Unsung Hero Award 2020 for Northern Ireland and finalist for the overall Unsung Hero Award. The award was presented to Adekanmi Abayomi by BBC Sport NI reporter Nicola McCarthy on behalf of The […]